Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
This is a traditional Thai dish which consists of marinating the chicken and wrapping it in pandan leaves and then frying it. I made a few revisions on the recipes that I have found on the internet because some of the ingredients are not readily available here. However, it's very easy to find Pandan leaves here in the Philippines but I'm not sure about other countries. I guess you could try Asian Specialty Stores.
- 1⁄2 kg boneless skinless chicken breasts or 1⁄2 kg boneless skinless chicken thighs
for the marinade
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 -2 drop pandan extract
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
for the dipping sauce
- 8 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 10 -12 pieces pandan leaves
- cut the chicken into 2" cubes.
- combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl.
- add in the chicken to the marinade.
- marinate for atleast 45mins in the refrigerator.
- wrap each piece of chicken in a pandan leaf (if the leaf is too long, you could split it in two). you can use toothpicks to make sure that the chicken does not slip out of the leaf while frying.
- start frying the chicken. make sure that the flame is on medium because you want the chicken to be cooked all the way through. However, since these are small pieces of chicken, it would just take around 10-12 mins to cook.
- to make the dipping sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small sauce pan and let it simmer for around 5 minutes.
- NOTE: you can add a few pinches of chili flakes if you want the sauce to be a bit spicy.
- serve the chicken with the dipping sauce.