Buster's friend's Note:
From The Washington Times. Dumpling or wonton wrappers are available frozen & fresh in Asian markets. Splurge & get some BBQ pork to cut into thin strips to float in the broth or eat on the side with firey Chinese mustard while you are there.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 60 whole wheat dumpling wrappers
- 1 lb lean ground chicken or 1 lb ground lean pork
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 12 water chestnuts, chopped
- 8 -10 shrimp, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black
- 6 tablespoons soy sauce, plus more
- soy sauce, for garnish
- 6 -8 quarts salt water, for cooking
For wonton soup broth
- 1for wonton soup broth :.
- 2Simmer broth, ginger & shallots gently. Do not add cilantro until serving broth with dumplings.
- 3Wet a paper towel and place it over the dumpling/wonton wrappers to keep them moist.
- 4Place the ground chicken, shallots, scallions, mushrooms, garlic, water chestnuts, shrimp, ginger, salt and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- 5Add the soy sauce and stir again.
- 6Bring the salted water to a boil.
- 7Peel off a dumpling wrapper and place 1 tablespoon of filling in the middle of the wrapper.
- 8Moisten the edges of the wrapper and fold into a crescent or scrunch up into a teepee if planning to use in wonton soup.
- 9Press down on the edges with the tines of a fork if making crescent shape.
- 10Repeat this process with all the wrappers, making sure not to overlap the dumplings on the plate or they will stick together.
- 11In batches, place the dumplings in the boiling water and cook. When they float to the surface, they are finished.
- 12Remove wontons with wire skimmer or slotted spoon. Serve on plates with soy sauce or place in a broth and serve in broth as a soup. Makes about 60 wontons.
Browse Our Top Chinese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chinese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Wontons (& Quick Wonton Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 186.5
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 1980.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 27.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat dumpling wrappers