1 hr 15 mins
This is a more luxurious version of an old standby which is almost a meal in itself. From "Chinese, the essence of Asian cooking". The wontons can be a little fussy to make so you might want to consider doing them the day before. (If that's the case, stop at the end of step two.) The preparation time is mostly for the wontons which are really worth the effort. The cooking time is for the soup. Leftovers, if there are any, seem to survive well in the fridge and are easily heated in the nuke for an additional treat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 large breast half or 1 small whole breast)
- 7 ounces large shrimp, cooked or raw (I chose to use smaller shrimp as 3/4 of them get processed anyway)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce (optional)
- 1 (16 ounce) packet wonton wrappers
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch paste (water and cornstarch)
- 1Place the chicken breast, 3/4 of the shrimp, the ginger and scallions in a food processor and process for 2-3 minutes. Add the egg, oyster sauce (if using), and seasoning and process briefly. Set aside.
- 2Place 8 wonton wrappers at a time on a surface in diamond fashion with a point towards you; moisten two adjoining edges with the cornstarch paste and place a rounded 1/2 teaspoon of the chicken/shrimp mixture in the center of each. Fold the dry edges over and pinch to seal. Simmer in salted boiling water for 4 minutes. Continue stuffing wrappers until chicken/shrimp mixture is gone.
- 3At this point, the wontons can be stored in the fridge overnight after they cool).
- 4Bring the chicken broth to a boil, add the remaining whole shrimp and the cucumber and simmer for 3-4 minutes to warm through. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Add wontons to warm through. Serve hot in bowls and garnish with scallion, cilantro and diced tomatoes.
Browse Our Top Asian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Wonton Soup With Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 536.1
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 183.3 mg
- Sodium 1509.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 44.7 g