Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
one way to use those wonderful vine ripened tomatoes from the garden. MMMmmmm good!!! from Heart healthy cooking by Becel
- 5 medium freshly havested vine ripened tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon margarine (Becel)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1⁄4 lb white mushrooms or 1⁄4 lb brown mushroom, thinly sliced (or both)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly shredded or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 2 -3 drops hot pepper sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- dice 1 tomato and set aside.
- Dice remaining tomatoes and place in a large nonstick frypan.
- Cook over medium low heat, uncovered for 15 minutes or until mixture is reduced by half.
- Press tomatoes through a sieve to remove seeds and skin (Final pureed mixture should measure approximatealy 1 cup).
- In same frypan on medium high heat, melt margarine.
- Saute chicken and mushrooms until chicken is lightly browned.
- Add tomato puree, reserved diced tomato, vinegar, basil, parsley, sugar, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil; reduce heat to medium low, cover and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 to 25 minutes or until chicken is cooked and tender.
- Serve with couscous or brown rice.