Recipe by cookiedog
This is from Rachael Ray's 30 minute meals. (May take a bit longer!) You might consider doubling the sauce!
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
Like other reviewers, we thought this was a little bland, which surprised us because we thought all of the ingredients would have added up to a more flavorful sauce. We did not modify the recipe other than to serve it over shelled pasta as I realized I was out of orzo. I served with roasted spaghetti squash.
- 226.79 g orzo pasta
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4 (680.38 g) chicken breasts
- 29.58 ml butter
- 12 cremini mushrooms, sliced (baby portabello mushrooms)
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 12 white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 14.79 ml thyme leaves, chopped (a couple of sprigs)
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 354.88 ml chicken stock
- 14.79 ml balsamic vinegar
- 44.37 ml heavy cream or 44.37 ml half-and-half
- 59.14 ml chopped flat leaf parsley (a generous handful)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and add orzo pasta. Cook to al dente.
- Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add extra-virgin olive oil. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper and add to the hot skillet. Cook the chicken for 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Return the skillet to the heat, turn heat back a bit, and add the butter. Once the butter melts add the mushrooms and brown stirring occasionally for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once the mushrooms are brown season with salt and pepper then add the garlic, thyme and shallots. Cook stirring occasionally for about 2 minutes or until the shallots are wilted. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and cook 2 minutes more.
- Whisk in the stock, balsamic vinegar and the cream. Turn the heat up to high and simmer for about 2 minutes or until thickened. Slice the chicken on an angle. Add the parsley and the chicken back to the skillet to heat up, about 1 minute.
- To serve, pile orzo on dinner plates and top with the sliced chicken and sauce.