Recipe by FLUFFSTER
This delicious dish gets a head start in the microwave oven. and then finish cooking over hot coals. A fantastic change from the more common red BBQ sauce. Goes great with grilled corn, potato sauce or cole slaw. A real winner. Times are approximate, due to weather conditions, etc. Times do not include time for coals to get hot, and for marinating.
Top Review by ninja
FINALLY, I've found the white sauce I LOVE here on Zaar! This tastes so much like the white BBQ sauce I used to get from Greenbrier Restaurant just outside of Huntsville, AL, where I lived most of my life. I lost my home made version of the recipe in a house fire back in 1997, then found this recipe but lost it sometime during the move to St Louis. I prepare the sauce and chill it a couple of days before use; it really enhances the taste! Using fresh lemon juice is important and the Worcestershire takes care of the salt we used to add while increasing depth of flavor. You can store in jars forever in the fridge, but squeeze bottles are great for serving. Although this method for preparing the chicken is probably delicious, I still simply season chicken pieces or quarters generously with seasoned salt and grill slowly over medium heat until done, serving the sauce on the side. Greenbrier also served baskets of delectable hushpuppies as soon as guests arrived and throughout the meal; we dipped them in the sauce addictively while some did the same with french fries. A couple of years ago I reviewed another white BBQ sauce recipe here after I had searched for Alabama white BBQ sauce, so I missed your post because of my search criteria. Even though I listed differences vs. my version, I didn't notice that particular recipe called for far too much vinegar. Sorry for the delay, Fluffster, and thanks so much for posting!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine worcestershire sauce
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) broiler-fryer chickens, quartered
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine: first 6 ingredients in a small bowl, stirring with a wire whisk.
- Arrange: chicken in a dish. Pour 1 cup sauce over chicken; turn to coat. Cover chicken and remaining sauce; chill 8 hours, turning chicken once.
- Prepare: fire by piling charcoal or lava rocks on sides of grill; leave center empty. Place a drip pan between coals.
- Microwave: chicken, discarding marinade; arrange n an 11x7x1&1/2" basking dish with thickest portions toward outside. Cover with wax paper. Microwave at HIGH 12 minutes.
- Coat food rack with vegetable cooking spray; place on grill over med.-hot coals. Place chicken immediately on rack over coals, and cook, without grill lid, 5 minute on each side.
- Rearrange: chicken over drip pan. Cook covered with grill lid, 20 minutes or until done, turning occasionally.
- Serve with sauce.