1 hr 30 mins
From Gourmet magazine, January 2006. This makes a beautiful dish to serve to company, but still cooks in a reasonable amount of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large whole chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Rinse and dry chicken, then sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 3Heat oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large heavy skillet of medium high heat.
- 4Brown the chicken on all sides (in 2 batches if necessary to keep from crowding pan). Set aside the pan when finished, do not rinse.
- 5Place the browned chicken in a single layer in a small roasting pan.
- 6Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Chicken will not be cooked through at this point.
- 7While chicken is roasting, start the sauce:.
- 8Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the pan used to brown the chicken.
- 9Add the garlic, shallots, carrot, thyme, and bay leaf; cook over medium high heat until vegetables are browned.
- 10Add the tomato paste, stir, and cook for 1 minute.
- 11Add the wine, vinegar, sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- 12Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- 13Add the chicken stock and any juices from the roasting pan to the sauce and return to a boil.
- 14Pour the sauce through a strainer, onto the chicken, pressing on the vegetables to get all of the liquid out. Discard the vegetables left in the strainer.
- 15Return the chicken to the oven, uncovered, and roast for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken is just done.
- 16Move the chicken to a serving platter, and cover to keep warm while finishing the sauce.
- 17Boil the sauce remaining in the roasting pan over high heat, until reduced to about a cup.
- 18Remove from the heat, then add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, stirring just until incorporated.
- 19Taste the sauce, and add salt of pepper as needed.
- 20Pour the sauce over the chicken, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.9
- Calories from Fat 394
- Total Fat 43.8 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 179.0 mg
- Sodium 1015.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 39.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: