This dish is somewhat reminiscent of a Mediterranean chicken dinner I had at a restaurant once. Very delicious, easy to make, and enjoyed by our family.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs. total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 ounces can crushed tomatoes
- 5 3⁄4 ounces jar of sliced pitted green olives, drained
- 2 1⁄4 ounces can sliced pitted black olives, drained
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian parsley (flat-leaf)
- In a large skillet brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, turning once. Remove chicken from skillet; set aside. Add onion to skillet. Cook over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally and adding garlic the last 1 minute of cooking.
- Stir tomatoes, olives, capers, lemon peel, and oregano into onion mixture. Place chicken on tomato mixture. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 13-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F).
- To serve place chicken on platter. Season tomato mixture to taste with salt and black pepper. Spoon tomato mixture over chicken Sprinkle with parsley and serve.