Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe comes from Todays Kitchen, Sounds good.
- 1 (3 lb) whole chicken
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup halved button mushroom
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh basil, finely chopped
- Cut chiccken into 8 pieces (you can use chicken breast or or thighs) leaving the bones in& the skin on.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; lightly dust the chicken pieces.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, pan sear the chicken on all sides in 1/4 cup of the olive oil until golden brown, or about 4 minutes, remove from pan, set aside.
- In the same pan, heat the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil and saute the garlic and onions until light brown, or about 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze with red wine vinegar.
- Add the tomato sauce and stock and simmer over low heat for 5 minutes: ADD the chicken and cook for about 1 hour on low heat.
- Add the basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
This was relatively easy to make. My favorite part was the idea that I could just assemble it, turn it down low and walk away. Although I was nervous that it would scorch on the bottom, I was pleasantly surprised that it turned out beautifully. Our dinner guest absolutely raved as did DD#2, but DH and DD#3 had mixed feelings about it...hence four stars rather than five. Thank you for sharing Barb!