Recipe by JustJanS
I looked for similar last night, but couldn't find it. Here's what I came up with.
Top Review by Leggy Peggy
Drumsticks were on sale today, so I bought 8 very meaty ones. I'm so very glad I did. I made this recipe as written (unusual for me, as I normally tweak something) and served it with Recipe #136060. Amazing and delicious combination. Thanks so much for creating and then posting.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 250 g button mushrooms, quartered
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 2⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 880 g chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pitted olive
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onions, garlic, bacon and mushrooms and cook until softened-about 10 minutes.
- Remove to a plate and add the chicken pieces to the pan. Brown well on all sides.
- Remove from the pan and add the tomato paste to the pan. Cook, stirring for a couple of minutes, then add the wine, tomatoes water, brown sugar, stock powder and fresh and dry herbs and spices and bring to the boil stirring.
- Return the chicken and bacon vegetable mix to the sauce, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, or until chicken is tender.
- About 15 minutes before serving, remove the lid and stir the olives through.
- With the lid off, increase the heat and allow to thicken to a nice sauce consitency.
- Just before serving, stir the fresh parsley through.
- We ate this over penne pasta, with feta cheese crumbled on top.