Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Posted for ZWT7-Italy. Found on alleasyrecipes.com.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 3 -5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced lean bacon, cut crosswise into 2-inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 4 medium firm ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- Pat the chicken completely dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the pieces on all sides with the salt and a few grindings of pepper. Then coat the chicken with flour and shake each piece vigorously to remove any excess.
- In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet, melt 3 Tblsp. of the butter with 2 Tblsp. of the olive oil over high heat.
- When the foam begins to subside, brown the chicken in the hot fat, 4 pieces at a time.
- Start the pieces skin side down and turn them frequently with tongs or a slotted spoon until they are richly and evenly colored.
- As they brown, transfer the pieces to a plate and brown the rest of the chicken similarly, adding the remaing butter and oil to the pan if necessary.
- Pour off the fat remaining in the skillet and in its place add the bacon. Stirring frequently, cook over moderate heat until the bacon is crisp and brown and has rendered all its fat.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 2 Tblsp. of the bacon fat remaining in the pan.
- Add the shallots to the fat and, stirring constantly, cook for about 3 minutes, or until they are soft, transparent and lightly brown.
- Add the tomatoes and wine and, stirring from time to time, cook briskly, uncovered, over high heat until most of the liquid has evaporated and the mixture is thick enough to hold its shape lightly in a spoon.
- Return the chicken and bacon to the skillet and turn them about with a spoon until they are well coated with the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer partially covered for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When the chicken is done it should show no resistance when a thigh is pierced with a small, sharp knife. Taste the sauce for seasoning.
- With tongs, remove the chicken from the skillet and arrange the pieces skin side up on a large heated platter. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve at once.
Oh my goodness, this is good!!! I made this recipe exactly as listed and I wouldn't change a thing! The sauce is delicious and the chicken is tender and has a great flavour. We thoroughly enjoyed this with Recipe #438887 and fresh greens. Made for my teammate for ZWT7. Thanks CJAY! :)