Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
from today's NY Times, this looks like a lovely way to start the new year.
- 4 medium yellow onions, diced
- 4 medium red onions, diced
- 2 cups chopped fresh cilantro
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons tamarind paste, diluted in
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 cup pomegranate paste, diluted in
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 skinless chicken thighs
- 10 boneless skinless chicken legs
- pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- In a large Dutch oven or in a pot with a tight-fitting lid, mix the onions, 1 1/2 cups cilantro, the garlic and the spices.
- Blend in the diluted tamarind paste, the diluted pomegranate paste(or use 1 c pomegranate juice), the ketchup and the salt.
- Add chicken thighs and legs to pot, and submerge in sauce.
- Cover, and cook on medium-high heat for 10 minutes, then lower heat, and cook for 1 hour.
- Uncover, adjust seasonings to taste, and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken and sauce to a serving platter, and garnish with remaining cilantro.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds over platter, and serve hot.
This was a great dish just bursting with flavour. All the different spices and flavours work great together and it was easy to cook. I will certainly try this again.