Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
My great recipe packet. I am taking this recipe from one of the recipe cards. Card 17. Simmered with red or green pepper, this eye-catching chicken dish is noteable for its sour cream sauce enlivened by a hint of tangy blue cheese. The savory sauce is delicious with egg noodles or fluffy rice.
- 3 -3 1⁄2 lbs frying chickens, cut up
- white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 sweet red peppers or 1 green pepper, seeded,thinly sliced in rings
- 1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup regular-strength chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and white pepper.
- Coat lightly with flour.
- Brown well in heated butter on all sides in a large, deep, heavy frying pan or dutch oven.
- Remove chicken pieces as they brown.
- Set aside.
- place onion and red or green pepper rings in the frying pan.
- Cook, stirring, until onion is soft.
- Mix in garlic, tomato paste, and about 1/4 cup of broth, stirring to mix in brown bits from pan.
- Return chicken to pan.
- Pour in remaining broth.
- Bring to boiling.
- Cover, and reduce heat.
- Simmer until chicken is tender, 35 to 40 minute.
- Remove chicken and peppers to a warm serving dish.
- Keep warm.
- Skim fat.
- Mix cheese into cooking liquid, strring over medium heat until it melts.
- Smoothly blend in sour cream.
- Cook, stirring, just until heated through (do not boil).
- Add salt, if needed.
- Pour sauce over chicken.