Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from a Claudia Roden cookbook loaned to m by my son.
- 2 cups natural full fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 inches fresh ginger, grated
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into quarters or 4 chicken fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond, toasted,and roughly chopped
- Mix the yogurt, cardamon and ginger together in a bowl, and set aside whilst you cook the chicken.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, fry the onion until soft.
- Add the chicken pieces and saute until the onions are golden and the chicken pieces lightly browned.
- Add the salt, pepper and a cup of water and cook over a low heat-20 minutes for the quarters, less for breasts.
- The chicken should be tender and the sauce reduced.
- Keep turning the chicken pieces, and add a little water if the sauce reduces too much.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the yoghurt mix, and serve sprinkled with the almonds.
This is a very tasty chicken dish. I did add the yoghurt mix to the saute pan with the chicken to heat everything up a little. The family enjoyed this very much and Sackville Girl's Basmati Pilaf was the perfect accompaniment.