Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a really good dish for entertaining because it can be prepared in advance and reheated in the oven.
- 2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 -2 green chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2⁄3 cup chicken stock
- 2⁄3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro, to garnish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
for the rice
- 2 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 3⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Place Basmati rice in a bowl and cover with cold water; let soak for 30 minutes then drain.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish, add 1 onion and cook until softened.
- Add the finely chopped chilies, grated ginger, crushed garlic and curry powder to the dish and continue cooking for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock and seasoning and bring slowly to a boil.
- Add the chicken; cover and bake 20 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the yogurt.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a flameproof casserole dish and cook the remaining onion gently until tender and lightly browned.
- Add the drained Basmati rice, garam masala, raisins, slivered almonds and stock to the dish.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook in the oven with the chicken for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the stock has been absorbed.
- To Serve:.
- Spoon half of the rice onto a large deep serving dish, cover with the chicken and then the remaining rice.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and or additional slivered almonds to garnish.