Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a delicious tasting chicken recipe with a "zip" to it. The vinegar in the sauce does it. The preperation takes some time, but it's worth it. My father-in-law used to make this and it's one of our favorites.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon tarragon
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Pound the chicken to 1/4" thick.
- Dredge chicken in flour w/salt& pepper.
- Combine butter& oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute chicken for 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove when lightly browned on both sides.
- Add more oil or butter if needed.
- Saute garlic, shallots, and mushrooms.
- Add vinegar.
- Add sugar, seasonings and tomato paste.
- Scrape all brown bits from pan and mix in with the sauce.
- Return chicken and cover.
- Cook for 5 minutes Add sour cream and heat an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve over rice or pasta.
I'm sorry, but this had too much "zip" to it. I used a really good, mellow red wine vinegar, so i thought i would try the full half cup. It was way too m uch for us-I think a couple of tablespoons would have done. One other small problem I din't have time to query. 1/4? of mushrooms.