Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my Easy Dinners, Healthy Recipes cookbook. It has went into regular rotation for our family, even my toddler gobbles it up. I've substituted different veggies if I don't have peppers and usually serve it over brown rice.
- nonstick cooking spray
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 12 oz)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup sweet pepper, cut into 3/4 inch squares
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- Coat an unheated large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, heat skillet. Cook chicken in hot skillet over medium heat about 4 min or until browned, turning to brown evenly. remove chicken from skillet.
- Carefully add oil to hot skillet. Cook mushrooms, sweet pepper and garlic in hot oil until crisp tender. Remove vegetables from skillet, cover with foil to keep warm. Carefully stir broth into skillet. Return chicken to skillet and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Transfer chicken to serving platter, cover to keep warm.
- For sauce, in a small bowl stir together sour cream, flour and black pepper until smooth. If desired, stir in the sherry. Stir mixture into skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir one minute more.
- To serve, spoon chicken, vegetables and sauce over hot cooked rice.