Recipe by TOOLBELT DIVA
This recipe is one which required translation. It takes a little time to translate the intent and accuracy of the original cook... Fortunately, I have not lost my basic skills in the Romanian language...By jove, I think I've got it... A favourite when I was growing up. May be served with boiled potatoes or a rice pilaf. Vegetables could include carrots, parsnips, whole green beans.
Top Review by Autuamnsprite
OMG! This is the best chicken/sour cream recipe I've ever had. We all loved it, me, daughter, son-in-law, dh and 6 year old son. Will definitely be making this again on a regular basis. Thanks Diva!!!
- 1 large chicken, 5 - 6 lbs
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, sliced thin
- 3 scallions, chopped coarse, green tops as well
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped coarse
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Clean chicken well, and cut into pieces.
- Brown pieces in hot butter in heavy frying pan.
- Remove chicken to a covered casserole dish.
- Make a roux; reheat butter in pan and add flour and water, blending carefully.
- Heat and stir until mixture is light brown.
- Cool roux thoroughly, (will not curdle if roux is cooled before sour cream is added).
- Add sour cream slowly, to the roux, mixing well; simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour this over chicken in the casserole dish.
- Add mushrooms, seasoning, parsley, pepper, chopped scallions with green tops, and water.
- Sprinkle Hungarian paprika over mixture.
- Cover casserole dish tightly; place in preheated oven, and cook for 1-1/2 hrs, or until chicken is tender.