Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) whole chicken
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons annatto seeds
- 8 ounces cellophane noodles (sotanghon noodles, soaked and cut into 2-inch lengths)
- 6 large dried Chinese mushrooms, soaked in hot water,destemmed and chopped
- 12 green onions, finely sliced
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- In a large saucepan, place the chicken with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered, until chicken is tender; remove chicken from pot and cool somewhat.
- Strain stock in the pot and reserve.
- Debone the chicken and cut meat into large pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.
- Add chicken, and fish sauce to the pan and simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour 2 tbsp hot water over the annato seeds in a small cup, stirring until bright orange; then strain off the water into the pan with the chicken meat along with the strained chicken broth.
- Bring everything to a boil; add noodles and chopped mushrooms and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add green onions and season to taste with salt and pepper.