Prep 0 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Hostellerie Bressane. Bon Appetit May 2011.
Make and share this Chicken With Shallots and Morels recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons schmaltz, duck fat or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 -4 lb chicken, backbone removed, cut into 8 pieces (free-range organic)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 1 lb morel (fresh)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Melt 2 tablespoons chicken fat in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Add chicken to skillet and cook, turning once, until golden brown, about 6 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining chicken fat to skillet. Add shallots and sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté until they begin to release liquid, about 1 minute. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a plate. Add wine to skillet and boil until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add stock; bring to a boil. Return chicken to skillet, cover with lid slightly ajar, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a platter. Return mushrooms to skillet; add cream. Simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and serve.