Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This chicken creates quite an aroma while roasting! You can leave the skin on and just peel it back to rub the spices on the chicken.
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) chicken (whole)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Remove chicken skin. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Remove giblets and neck.
- Lightly spray the inside of a roasting back with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken, breast side up, in the plastic oven bag in a shallow roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together remaining ingredients. Rub this mixture evenly over chicken.
- Tie the oven bag closed.
- Roast in oven 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
Great flavor. I doubled the spices for our 4 lb bird and used them as a rub under the skin. Then I followed the instructions for Blasted Chicken 142783. It tasted great and I plan on trying it again and maybe increasing the cinnamon a little.
I made this for ZWT3 and I am just going to comment not rate it because I had to make a couple of changes to make it palatable to my family - actually the only change was to use boneless skinless chicken breasts, and then to take out of the bag and bake for a few minutes once they were done. I used thin pieces, and I probably overcooked, but my fault, not the recipe's. My husband did comment that the flavors were good though.
Very good!! I doubled the spices because I had a 5 lb. chicken. I rubbed it under the skin and then poured about 1/4 cup water in the pan. I was certain that I would like this but thought the kids would be put off by the flavor. I was totally wrong. My 8 year old daughter ate a drumstick, a thigh and a wing! Normally she eats far less. Thanks Parsley. This is a keeper.