Recipe by Bonnie G #2
Found this recipe in a William-Sonoma catalog and looks so good, was wanting a recipe to try out my new dutch oven and this looks ideal. Finally got around to making this, a few more steps and involved than I'm usually into making but the end results were good and really not that hard. I loved the pretty orange color the saffron gave to the dish.
Top Review by Mel C.K.
I too found this recipe in Williams-Sonoma and tried it tonight for the first time. It was delicious and not as involved as I have found other Williams-Sonoma recipes to be. The one change that I made was substituting bagged saffron rice for the actual saffron (given how expensive it is.) I will definitely make this again!
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken, thighs and drumsticks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 2 1⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes in tomato puree (1 can)
- 3 cups medium grain rice
- 1⁄2 cup green olives, pitted and halved
- 1 tablespoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil.
- Brown chicken in batches, 7-8 minutes per batch.
- Transfer to plate. Discard fat; wipe out pot.
- In same pot over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cook onion, bell pepper, saffron and red pepper flakes abut 10 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 30 seconds.
- Add sherry; cook 1 minute. Add chicken, broth tomatoes and juices. Bring to simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Add rice, olives, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Increase heat to medium-high; bring to simmer. Cover, bake in oven 30 minutes; stirring once halfway through.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley.