Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a variation on Discovery Foods Rio Grande sauce which they have stopped making. I am still working on perfecting it but its pretty close.
- 3 -4 skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- 1 large onion (cut into strips)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 8 flour tortillas
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped red jalapeno chile
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree (from Tube)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granuals
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion salt
- Chop the Jalapenos and Small Onion.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and puree together.
- Mix the tomato puree and 1 1/2 cups of water then add the puree.
- Simmer this for 5-10mins.
- Mix all the spices and stir them into the sauce.
- Cover and gently simmer for 20mins.
- In a Wok add some oil and cook the chicken for about 3-4mins.
- Add the peppers and onion strips and stirfry untill the onion goes translucent.
- Add the sauce and simmer untill the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens (about 10-15mins).
- Heat the oven to 80-100 degC
- While that simmers take the tortillas and heat in a hot pan about 6sec per side then put in the oven to keep warm.
- Serve in a bowl and spoon out the mix, roll then enjoy :) - Note I dont add any sour cream as I prefer the heat.