1/1 Photo of Chicken With Rio Grande Sauce in Tortillas
This is a variation on Discovery Foods Rio Grande sauce which they have stopped making. I am still working on perfecting it but its pretty close.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 skinless chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- 1 large onion (cut into strips)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 8 flour tortillas
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped red jalapeno chile
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree (from Tube)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic, granuals
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
- 1Chop the Jalapenos and Small Onion.
- 2Add 1/2 cup of water and puree together.
- 3Mix the tomato puree and 1 1/2 cups of water then add the puree.
- 4Simmer this for 5-10mins.
- 5Mix all the spices and stir them into the sauce.
- 6Cover and gently simmer for 20mins.
- 7In a Wok add some oil and cook the chicken for about 3-4mins.
- 8Add the peppers and onion strips and stirfry untill the onion goes translucent.
- 9Add the sauce and simmer untill the chicken is cooked through and the sauce thickens (about 10-15mins).
- 10Heat the oven to 80-100 degC
- 11While that simmers take the tortillas and heat in a hot pan about 6sec per side then put in the oven to keep warm.
- 12Serve in a bowl and spoon out the mix, roll then enjoy :) - Note I dont add any sour cream as I prefer the heat.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Rio Grande Sauce in Tortillas
Serving Size: 1 (612 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 859.2
- Calories from Fat 133
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 205.3 mg
- Sodium 2182.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.3 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 94.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: