Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great one pan stove top casserole. The chicken has great flavor and the rice is wonderful flavored by your favorite salsa.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 6-8 pieces each
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice (I use jasmine)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup salsa (your favorite)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- heat oil in a non-stick pan on med-high heat, saute onion and garlic until translucent. 4 minutes.
- remove onion mixture from pan and saute chicken pieces just to brown a little.
- add back onion mixture, salsa, cumin and rice and saute until liquid is evaporated. 2-3 minutes.
- add chicken broth and water. bring to a boil, cover and cook on low for 20 minutes.
I made this recipe last January and LOVED IT! I used a can of Rotel Tomatoes instead of salsa because it's what I had on-hand at the time. The Rotel gave it a spicy twist which I enjoy. Somehow I misplaced your recipe and when I went to print it again, I had the most difficult time trying to find it! FINALLY persistance paid off. Thank you!
This makes a delicious meal with very little prep work. The onion was increased to 1/2 cup and a can of veggie broth was used, as I was out of chicken. I opened a jar of Wonderful Salsa that I made last year to use. In the last step, I cooked as directed until the last 10 minutes, when I took the lid off and stirred every 5 minutes so it would not stick. I will make this again. Made for *Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup 2009* game
Really enjoyed this dish. Very easy to prepare and delicious to boot. Was prepared a little bit to add additional salsa. Other than that, prepared as directed. Used as part of a Mexican feast last night. Thnx for posting, bethF. Made for Fall 2008 PAC.