Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
The raspberry vinegar turns an ordinary chicken dish into something remarkably savoury. Serve the wonderful sauce with homemade mashed potatoes or gnocchi.
- 3 lbs chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry vinegar
- 2 tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- Season chicken.
- Heat butter and oil; brown chicken on both sides over high heat.
- Pour off fat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add garlic and ¼ cup of the vinegar; simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Pour in remaining vinegar, stirring up brown bits; raise heat and boil until vinegar has reduced to a thick glaze, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to chicken along with thyme, parsley and chicken stock; boil for 5 minutes, or until liquid had been reduced by half.
- With slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a warm serving platter.
- Strain pot liquor, pressing hard on garlic to extract more flavour.
- Spoon strained sauce over chicken.
We made this tonight and it was delicious! The only problem we encountered was that the sauce did not really reduce and thicken, but that was not a problem, it was still yummy and the chicken was very moist. Also, I did not put the sauce through a strainer, since I like in chunky - lots of garlic cloves - yum!