Recipe by Munchkin Mama
This is a gorgeous dish that is super simple and tastes delicious. If you want an impressive-looking dish, try this. I used to work at a great little health spa/resort where this was served regularly. I hope you enjoy it! (Note: You can use bottled Parmesan Cheese Dressing in place of the mixture here if you can find it.)
Top Review by jayne.ewing
I found this recipe a little bland, and because the chicken was on the onions, the chicken ended up not being in the sauce enough which caused it to be a bit dry. Also, the mayo and milk separated so the sauce was too thin for my liking.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 large purple onions
- 8 ounces grated parmesan cheese (fresh is best)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons parsley (fresh or dried- for color)
Dressing (use parmesan cheese dressing)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise (not miracle whip)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese (I use the dried version for this)
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine dressing ingredients and preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel onions. Cut into six 1/2" thick slices and place on an ungreased baking sheet. (You want to cut them in the same direction that do when you trim off the ends so that you see the rings of the onions.) (Hope that makes sense). Save onion scraps for another use if desired.
- Trim chicken of any visible fat and place in a single layer on onion slices, trimming and filling in as needed on each onion slice. (It's okay if the chicken hangs over the onion slightly).
- Drizzle about 1 tablespoon dressing mixture over each serving.
- Generously sprinkle on parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper to taste. Top with parsley. Bake at 425 degrees for about 30 minutes.