Prep 24 hrs
Cook 45 mins
if you love Mediterranean food, you are going to love this one... it's fragrant and has the most delicious blend of flavors, to enhance the flavors in the chicken it is best left overnight to marinate --- great served with rice
- 5 chicken legs with thigh (separated)
- 1⁄2 cup dried prune, halved (4 oz)
- 1 cup green olives (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped or 1 -2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 2 tablespoons capers (with juice)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more if you like more heat)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (to garnish)
- Combine the chicken, prunes, wine, wine vinegar, oil, oregano, capers, fresh garlic, chili peppers, salt and the bay leaves; turn to coat the chicken pieces well.
- Cover, and marinate in the refrigerater 8 hours, or overnight (do not marinate for more that 24 hours, as the vinegar will start to cook the chicken).
- If marinated for 24 hours, combine ingredients in a zip-loc plastic bag, seal and refrigerate.
- In a casserole dish, arrange the chicken in a single layer.
- Pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the chicken.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, in a 350 degree oven, or until the chicken tests done.
- Remove the chicken to a large platter, and top with remaining pan juices.
- Remove the bay leaves before sprinkling the chopped basil over the chicken.
- Serve immediately.
Absolutely delicious! I didn't garnish with the basil because I didn't have any, but we didn't miss it. Also, I used 8 bone-in chicken thighs, it was just the right amount of marinade. This is such a great combination of flavors. I recommend it to anyone who's looking for a new way to cook chicken. Totally making this again.
WOW!!!!!!!! An incredible dish. Next time I will add more prunes, they were superb. Thanks for posting.