Recipe by JustJanS
I found this in a magazine, but I have changed a few things to suit our tastes. We usually have this over cous cous, with a couple of Moroccan salads that I plan to post seperately.
Top Review by Nimue2
I must admit that I'm partial to Middleastern foods. But this is something special. One of the best dishes we"ve made in months! It is especially interesting how much flavor is added by the sprinkling of seseme seeds at the last. It's not just a garnish, but an integral part of the flaor mix. Be sure to include the seseme....even if it means a special trip to the store.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken pieces (we get "lovely legs" which are skinless drumsticks with the knuckle end cut off)
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 375 ml chicken stock
- 125 ml honey
- 125 g pitted prunes
- 125 g dried apricots, chopped
- 3 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 30 g butter
- 80 g blanched almonds
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced preserved lemon (I probably use double this, because I love it so much. And I use lemon zest if I've run out!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large pan, and brown the chicken pieces in batches.
- Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil, and add the onion, cooking and stirring until soft.
- Stir in the spices and cook for 1 minute.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and toss to coat in the onion mixture.
- Add the stock and simmer, covered for 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the pan; cover to keep warm.
- Add the honey, prunes and apricots to the pan, then simmer, uncovered, for about 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Meanwhile, put sesame seeds in a small heated pan and cook, stirring over a medium heat until browned.
- Remove the seeds.
- Melt the butter in the same pan and cook almonsd, stirring until lightly browned.
- Return the chicken to the sauce, and cook covered until the chicken is hot.
- Serve sprinkled with sesame seeds, almonds and preserved lemon.