Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
Adopted from the Recipezaar account. This is posted in response to a request for recipes using preserved lemon. I found it in the Seattle paper's archives, but it is originally from "The New Book of Middle Eastern Food"
- 3 1⁄2-4 lbs chicken
- 3 tablespoons peanuts or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, grated or very finely chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed saffron threads or 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- 1 -2 preserved lemon, peel of, rinsed and cut in quarters
- 12 green olives or 12 pale-brown olives, soaked in 2 changes of water for 1/2 hour
- Put the whole chicken in a saucepan with all ingredients except preserved lemons and olives.
- Half-cover with water and simmer, covered, turning the chicken over a few times, and adding water if necessary, for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the chicken is so tender that the flesh pulls off the bone and the liquid is reduced to a thick sauce.
- Throw the lemon peel and drained rinsed olives into the sauce for the last 15 minutes of cooking.
- Some like to add the peel at the very end; some like to chop part of it up to flavor the sauce.
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces and serve hot, with the sauce poured over.
I realsise that Moxie posted this for a request and hasn't made this, so no fault of hers that there was a problem. When I half covered the chicken with water, covered the saucepan with a lid, there was no reduction of liquid in 1 1/2 hours-and certainly no need to add any extra water (step2). I added the lemon and olives for another 15 minutes then I had to remove the chicken, and set about reducing the liquid over a very high flame. This took an additional 1/2 hour. We had a very good but late dinner.
i used almost the same ingredients... i used chicken breasts and fresh lemons, 1 sliced and 1/2 juiced . i cooked mine in a crockpot, on low for 6-8 hrs after browning with the spices, and added the lemon juice and 3/4 C water. added the olives and lemon slices for the last 20 minutes. very tasty