Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This is real comfort food. A very different stuffing, one my family loves. I usually just remove Italian sausage from it's casing. If I remember correctly I believe I originally found this recipe in a Southern Living magazine years ago.
- 6 medium red potatoes, cut in 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons dried parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons dried thyme, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (7 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Cook potatoes in salted water until almost tender; drain and set aside.
- Cook sausage until nearly done- add potato and onion and cook until sausage is browned and onion is tender.
- Add 2 tsp parsley, salt, rosemary, 3/4 tsp thyme and the pepper.
- Stuff the cleaned chicken.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, brush with oil and sprinkle with remaining parsley and thyme.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add water to pan.
- Place any remaining stuffing in a greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish, cover and refrigerate.
- Place chicken in a 350°F oven for 1 1/2 hours.
- Place baking dish of stuffing in oven.
- Bake chicken and stuffing for 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180°F.
- Thicken juices for gravy if desired.