Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This comes from my Eat Well, Stay Well cookbook. This is a tangy-sweet, sticky way to fix chicken. YUM. I can't always find plum jam, so I use currant. This freezes well too. I mix everything together in a bowl, add the chicken, toss to coat and then put in labeled Ziploc bags. Thaw before broiling.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, jam, vinegar, garlic, hot sauce, ginger and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon and the flavors have blended.
- Cool to room temperature. Measure out ½ cup of the sauce and set aside; use the rest as a baste.
- Preheat the broiler. In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin and coriander.
- Rub the chicken with the spice mixture.
- Broil the chicken 6 inches from the heat for 3 minutes per side.
- Brush with half of the basting mixture and broil for 5 minutes longer.
- Turn the chicken over, brush with the remaining baste, and broil for 7 minutes longer or until cooked through.
- Serve with the reserved sauce.