Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Came up with this when I had leftover cream cheese-pesto appetizer spread. It's similar to Cordon Bleu but with different ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix softened cream cheese and pesto and set aside.
- Season flour with salt and pepper on sheet of wax paper. Set aside.
- Mix egg and water in bowl. Set aside.
- Pour panko into flat container. Season with thyme or oregano, if desired. Set aside.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch thickness. Place prosciutto slice on top of chicken and put about 1.5 T of cream cheese mixture on top. Roll chicken breast and secure ends with toothpicks.
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour, roll in egg wash, and then cover with panko crumbs. Sprinkle olive oil over to ensure crumbs will brown.
- Place in shallow, greased baking pan and bake 15-20 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil 3-4 minutes to crisp up and brown the outside.
The complexities of the flavors are outstanding, and the recipe is not that difficult to make. In place of the panko, I used seasoned breadcrumbs and it worked quite well. A sign that it was a hit is that there isn't anything left to take to work tomorrow.