Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
In this classic Hungarian dish, sweet paprika is used to season the chicken and again to flavor the creamy sauce.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Cut chicken into strips sized of your choosing.
- Toss chicken in a medium bowl with half the paprika, 1.5 teaspoons salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over med. high heat.
- Add chicken, cook, tossing occasionally, until opaque throughout, 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon butter and in the same skillet.
- Add onion, cook until browned and softened.
- Add remaining tablespoon paprika and stir, cooking, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and 3/4 cup water; cook until saucy.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Stir in sour cream and cook until just heated through, without boiling.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve.
This simple comfort dish had a great flavor. I served it with buttered and herbed egg noodles and fresh steamed peas. A bit of cayenne could be added, if you like more kick to the dish. I look for dishes that come together quickly for weeknights, and this certainly fit the bill. Thanks for posting.