Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light. Serving size: 2 thighs and 2/3 cup sauce. Per serving: 392 calories, 11.5 g fat, 32.3 g protein, 42.3 g carb, 8 g fiber, 125 mg cholesterol.
- 3⁄4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup vertically sliced onion
- 1 ounce pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1⁄4 cup tawny port
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup fat-free chicken broth
- 12 dried calimyrna figs, quartered
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion and pancetta; stir/saute for 3 minutes; remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine garam masala and the next 3 ingredients; sprinkle evenly over chicken.
- Add chicken to pan; cook over medium-high heat 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Add port and vinegar; cook 30 seconds, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Add onion mixture and broth; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add figs, cover, and simmer 8 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Stir in parsley and thyme.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs, if you like.
I made this the other night, perhapse I just had too high of expectations, but it was lacking in flavor. I couldn't even taste the pancetta. Maybe next time (if there is a next time) is will use more garam masala and some red pepper.