Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
A very hearty, Mediterranean-inspired soup. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes. Not your usual chicken soup- a trip to the grocery might be necessary before making this.
- 1 lb new winter potato, sliced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 2 pieces celery, cut lengthwise and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 chicken half, white and dark meat (rotisserie style recommended)
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon red pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed cooking pot. Sauté onions and celery. Stir until onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add dried oregano and parsley. Continue stirring until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add white wine, broth and water. Toss potatoes and carrots into pot. Bring contents to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add pasta. Cook contents for about 12 minutes or until pasta is tender. Reduce heat.
- Place chicken, cooking sherry and mushrooms into pot. Add salt and red pepper. Simmer until ready to serve.