Prep 15 mins
Cook 49 mins
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 4 green onions, cut into 2 inch piece
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, minced and peeled
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- With vegetable peeler, cut peel from orange into 1 1/2 inch-wide pieces, being careful not to cut into white membrane. Cut pieces into 1 1/2 inch-long strips.
- On small cookie sheet, let peels dry slightly in 200F oven 30 minutes.
- Cut chicken into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
- In medium bowl, mix well chicken, soy sauce, sherry, green onions, red pepper and ginger.
- In small bowl, mix well cornstarch, sugar, salt and orange juice. Cover and refrigerate both.
- About 15 minutes before serving: In 10-inch skillet over medium heat, in hot oil, with slotted spoon, stir-fry peels until crisp and edges are slightly browned, about 2 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- In remaining oil in skillet, over high heat, stir-fry chicken mixture until chicken loses pink color and is tender, about 4 minutes.
- Stir orange-juice mixture, then add to chicken and stir-fry until mixture is slightly thickened and coats chicken.
- Spoon onto warm platter; sprinkle with peels.
Delicious. Easy to prepare. Nice delicate taste. Will be keeping this recipe for the future. Grat dish for entertaining.
Our family did not care for this recipe. The orange peel flavor was way too strong (and I used less than 1/2 of the amount called for in the recipe). Sorry Dancer^, we will not be making this again.
I made this dish a few days ago and it was very tasty! To make my chicken crisp, I dipped the chicken pieces into egg whites then put them into a ziplock bag with flour, a bit of salt and pepper. Shaking to coat well. This was easy to make and was delicous served with Jasmine rice.