Recipe by Mirj
This is delicious and fragrant! Your house smells wonderful while the chicken is roasting and the neighbors knock on your door looking for invitations to dinner. I make this at least once a month.
Top Review by Barbie
My whole family like this (which is extremely unusual - they are very picky eaters)! I served it over rice. The only thing I would change, is to make it saucier, to go over pasta or rice. Yum!
- 1 lemon
- 1 roasting chicken, about 5 pounds
- grated lemon, zest of
- 1 lemon, cut into quarters
- grated orange, zest of
- 1 orange, cut into quarters
- 3 tablespoons peeled and grated fresh gingerroot
- freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons margarine, melted,or olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- orange section (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat an oven to 350°F degrees.
- Cut the lemon into quarters.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with one of the lemon quarters, then discard.
- In a small bowl, stir together the lemon and orange zests and 1 tablespoon of the grated ginger.
- Rub this mixture evenly in the cavity.
- Put the lemon and orange quarters inside the bird.
- Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- In the now-empty small bowl, combine the melted margarine or olive oil, lemon and orange juices, honey, and the remaining 2 tablespoons ginger.
- Mix well.
- Place the chicken in the oven and roast, basting with the citrus juice mixture at least 4 times during cooking, until the juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a knife, about 1 hour.
- Transfer to a serving platter and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carve the chicken.
- Garnish with orange sections.
- Variation: Use 4 tablespoons pomegranate juice in place of the lemon juice.