Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
On a Martha Stewart Living recipe card. January, 2004. Note: For crispier skin, panfry the chicken before roasting it.
- 1 (4 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 onions, quartered lengthwise
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 6 sprigs thyme, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Brush chicken with butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a small roasting pan. Arrange onions, garlic, and thyme sprigs over and under chicken.
- Roast; after 20 minutes, baste with pan drippings.
- Continue roasting until chicken is golden and cooked through, 15-20 minutes more. Transfer the chicken to a platter, and set aside.
- Pour pan drippings through a sieve into a small bowl; discard solids.
- Arrange onions and all but 3 garlic cloves around chicken on the platter.
- Whisk remaining 3 cloves with pan juices.
- Strain juices again and discard solids.
- Pour sauce over chicken; serve garnished with thyme sprigs.