1/1 Photo of Chicken With Olives, Caramelized Onions, and Sage
2 hrs 20 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
"Layer upon layer of flavor infuses this stylish yet deeply comforting dish" according to Bon Appetit, December 2004, where it was originally published and then posted here by Mean Chef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (3 1/2 lb) chicken, each cut into quarters, backbones removed
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 lbs red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 (750 ml) bottle dry white wine, divided
- 9 large fresh sage leaves
- 8 large shallots, peeled
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3 turkish bay leaves
- 3 cups assorted mediterranean olives in brine (such as Kalamata and picholine)
- 1Rinse chicken; pat dry.
- 2Arrange on foil.
- 3Mix cumin, salt, paprika, and turmeric in bowl.
- 4Sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- 5Let stand while preparing onions.
- 6Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 7Add all onions.
- 8Sauté until pale golden, about 30 minutes.
- 9Mix in honey.
- 10Sauté until onions are deep brown, about 15 minutes.
- 11Turn off heat.
- 12Tilt skillet, pushing onions toward top and allowing oil to pool at bottom.
- 13Using slotted spoon, spread onions evenly in large roasting pan.
- 14Reserve skillet with oil.
- 15Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F Heat oil reserved in skillet over medium-high heat.
- 16Working in batches, brown chicken, about 5 minutes per side.
- 17Arrange chicken, skin side up, in single layer atop onions in roasting pan.
- 18Remove skillet from heat.
- 19Add 1/2 cup wine to hot skillet.
- 20Let stand until bubbling stops.
- 21Add remaining wine.
- 22Place skillet over medium-high heat; boil until reduced to 2 cups, scraping up bits, about 9 minutes.
- 23Tuck sage, shallots, garlic, and bay leaves among chicken quarters.
- 24Sprinkle with pepper.
- 25Spoon wine mixture over.
- 26Cover pan tightly with foil and bake chicken 30 minutes.
- 27Uncover; sprinkle olives over chicken.
- 28Baste with juices.
- 29Return to oven, uncovered, and continue baking until chicken is tender, basting 2 more times, about 35 minutes.
- 30Transfer chicken, vegetables, and olives to platter.
- 31Serve with pan juices.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Olives, Caramelized Onions, and Sage
Serving Size: 1 (678 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1180.1
- Calories from Fat 703
- Total Fat 78.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 297.6 mg
- Sodium 874.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 76.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh sage leaves
olives in brine