Recipe by Derf
Chicken provencal, Great chicken dish, full of flavour! Recipe evolved to our taste from "French Country Kitchen" by Ann Hughes-Gilbey
Top Review by Burnice
Delicious recipe. Always looking for new ways to serve chicken. I used the turmeric (saffron not in my budget) and left out the anchovy fillets (personal taste). Served with pasta (instead of rice) and green salad. My family enjoyed it very much.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 skinless chicken pieces
- 8 -10 small whole onions or 8 -10 small whole shallots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 lb tomatoes, skinned and chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or half oregano and half savory)
- 1 pinch saffron (optional) or 1 pinch turmeric (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red wine or 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 15 -20 pitted black olives, half chopped, half whole
- 2 -4 anchovy fillets (very finely sliced or chopped) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the chicken pieces quickly with the whole onions in very hot oil in flameproof casserole.
- (My cast iron dutch oven works well) Remove the chicken and add the sliced onions, green pepper and garlic to the pan, soften over lowered heat for 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the tomatoes, herbs, saffron or turmeric, tomato paste and wine or stock.
- Taste, season and cover.
- Cook gently, stove top, until chicken is done, or.
- Place dutch oven in preheated oven at 350°F for about 55 minutes until chicken is done.
- Halfway through cooking turn the chicken pieces and stir the pan contents.
- The chicken should be lightly sauced, not stewed.
- If the sauce is very thin, cook uncovered for the rest of the cooking time.
- Add the olives and anchovy fillets, if using, for about the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Check seasoning and serve with rice and a tossed green salad.