Cook1 hr 10 mins
Chicken provencal, Great chicken dish, full of flavour! Recipe evolved to our taste from "French Country Kitchen" by Ann Hughes-Gilbey
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 4 skinless chicken pieces
- 8 -10 small whole onions or 8 -10 small whole shallots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 lb tomatoes, skinned and chopped roughly
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or half oregano and half savory)
- 1 pinch saffron (optional) or 1 pinch turmeric (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup red wine or 3⁄4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 15 -20 pitted black olives, half chopped, half whole
- 2 -4 anchovy fillets (very finely sliced or chopped) (optional)
- Brown the chicken pieces quickly with the whole onions in very hot oil in flameproof casserole.
- (My cast iron dutch oven works well) Remove the chicken and add the sliced onions, green pepper and garlic to the pan, soften over lowered heat for 5 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the tomatoes, herbs, saffron or turmeric, tomato paste and wine or stock.
- Taste, season and cover.
- Cook gently, stove top, until chicken is done, or.
- Place dutch oven in preheated oven at 350°F for about 55 minutes until chicken is done.
- Halfway through cooking turn the chicken pieces and stir the pan contents.
- The chicken should be lightly sauced, not stewed.
- If the sauce is very thin, cook uncovered for the rest of the cooking time.
- Add the olives and anchovy fillets, if using, for about the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Check seasoning and serve with rice and a tossed green salad.
Delicious recipe. Always looking for new ways to serve chicken. I used the turmeric (saffron not in my budget) and left out the anchovy fillets (personal taste). Served with pasta (instead of rice) and green salad. My family enjoyed it very much.
This was a hearty meal which I served over pasta. I did find that I was able to successfully cut back on the oil to 2 tsp & also cut back a bit on the olives(about 10). Used the optional saffrom & anchovies and both were great additions. I rounded the meal out with a simple mixed greens salad and it was just delightful. Thank you Derf for sharing the recipe.
We ate this for dinner tonight Derf, it was great. I used bone in, skin off, thigh cutlets, half red wine and stock, and I used the larger amounts of all those ingredients you gave me the choice to. We love anchovies and they and the olives added a nice saltiness to finish. We ate this over pasta, and I would have liked a big handful fo chopped flat leaf parsley to finish it.