1/2 Photos of Chicken With Mushrooms and Tomato (Crock Pot)
4 hrs 20 mins
In a small household, you are always left with part of a package of something. This recipe was born from my desire to use up things in the fridge. I've done the same on the stove, but this really worked well in the crock pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour the spaghetti sauce into a bowl. Add the herbs and mix.
- 2Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a little olive oil in skillet and brown the chicken well; transfer to crock pot.
- 3Pour all but about 2 tablespoons of accumulated fats from skillet, return to medium low heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until soft and just starting to turn color.
- 4Put the onions, garlic and mushrooms over the chicken.
- 5Return skillet to burner. Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up all the fond (browned bits) from the skillet. Pour the wine into the spaghetti sauce and mix. Pour over the chicken.
- 6Set to LOW and cook for 4 to 5 hours.
- 7Serve with hot pasta.
- 8Note1: Use whatever herbs you like - oregano, basil, thyme are all good, or use an Italian seasoning mix. I also sometimes add 1/4 teaspoons crushed red pepper for some heat.
- 9Note2: Obviously, you can add different vegetables and herbs or spices, to suit your tastes and needs. Sweet bell peppers are a natural, I will also add fresh tomatoes or whatever needs using.
- 10Note3: I try not to use added salt, but you may want an additional 1/2 teaspoons or so in the sauce. I find commercial sauces salty enough.
- 11Note4: I like red wine, but any wine or dry vermouth will work. Or use chicken broth.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken With Mushrooms and Tomato (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 785.8
- Calories from Fat 439
- Total Fat 48.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 256.3 mg
- Sodium 574.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 57.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: