Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is a recipe I developed today, inspired by a recipe request, and having the same ingredients on hand. We all enjoyed it and hope you will too.
- 4 chicken breasts, cut in half through the breast to make 8 flat cutlets
- 1 egg
- flour (for dredging)
- seasoned Italian breadcrumbs (for dredging)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mushroom, trimmed,sliced
- 1 jar barilla tomato sauce with basil (or any good brand)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups provolone cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Dredge chicken cutlets first in flour, then dip in egg, and finally dredge in breadcrumbs.
- Put on a baking pan and refrigerate for 15 minutes while you proceed with recipe.
- In a non-stick saucepan, heat 1 tblsp of oil over high heat and add mushrooms and garlic.
- Cook, stirring, until all the liquid the mushrooms have given off has evaporated.
- Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In same saucepan, heat remaining 2 tblsps of oil over medium-high heat and fry chicken cutlets until golden-brown, about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan and transfer to a glass baking dish, overlapping cutlets slightly to fit into the dish.
- Lightly season cutlets with salt and pepper.
- Distribute mushrooms over chicken and spoon tomato sauce over.
- Drizzle with 1/2 cup heavy cream.
- Cover with the cheeses and bake for 15 minutes, or until heated through and the cheeses have melted.
- Note: If you haven't got seasoned breadcrumbs, use regular breadcrumbs to which you've added 3/4 tsp each of dried, crumbled oregano and basil.