Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Nigel Slater, March 31. Haven't tried it yet, but it looks great.
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 4 slices gingerroot, shredded
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, inner leaves very finely shredded
- peanut oil
- 3 hot red chili peppers, seeds discarded, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 lb diced chicken
- 3 medium field mushrooms, cut in small segments
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 3 leaves Thai basil or 3 leaves of fresh mint
- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan, and cook garlic, ginger, scallions, and lemongrass on medium high until the garlic is golden.
- Add peppers to pan and cook briefly before removing from heat.
- In the pan, pour in more peanut oil and heat until almost smoking.
- Add the chicken and leave it to brown.
- Fry, stirring, until golden and sticky on all sides.
- Add the mushrooms.
- When they are tender, add the spices back to the pan.
- Mix the lime juice, fish sauce, and sugar separately, then pour it into the hot pan.
- Toss in the basil or mint and eat immediately.