Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love this chicken recipe. Comfort food that tastes soooo good.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 lb mushroom, caps separated from stems,caps halved or quartered if large
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) can whole tomatoes, drained well,quartered
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Heat 2 tblsps of the oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add garlic; reduce heat to low.
- Saute garlic, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Dredge chicken pieces lightly in flour.
- Increase heat to medium; add chicken pieces and saute until well-browned on all sides, about 20 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 tblsps oil in separate skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add mushroom caps and stems; saute, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5-6 minutes.
- When chicken is browned, stir in tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon and mushrooms; season to taste.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook chicken, covered, 20 minutes, then uncover, add cream and cook another 10 minutes, or until chicken is tender and sauce has thickened slightly.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
- Serve with penne or rigatoni.
This is a very easy and quick recipe to make. The whole family enjoyed this dish served over rigatoni with a salad and rolls. Thanks for a great recipe!
Very nice! I did scale the recipe, but tried to maintain proportions. I used all the ingredients, including the cinnamon, which, I admit, I did cut back on a little. The oregano and cinnamon are in such small quantities that you can't really pick them out of the whole flavor. They do add a certain something, and I think I'll go for the full amount of cinnamon next time. I cut the chicken and tomato in smaller pieces, and think that the cooking went more quickly because of it. I also sauteed the garlic separately in order not to burn it, which I have a tendency to do. Just a lovely dinner. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.