Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Morels are rather pricey but this is a delicious dish for company or a special occasion. The cost can be reduced by substituting another mushroom type for part of the recipe.
- 3⁄4 ounce dried morel
- 3 lbs chicken, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper
- 10 ounces dry sherry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces fresh mushrooms (preferably morels)
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse dry morels & place in small bowl.
- Pour 1/2 cup boiling water over top& soak for 1/2 hour.
- Cut the chicken into 8 pieces (2 legs, 2 thighs, 4 half brests); reserve wings & backs for making stock or soup.
- Melt butter in heavy frying pan over medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces & cook until golden on each side (about 5- 8 minutes).
- Remove to plate, season to taste & keep warm.
- Discard fat in pan, then add sherry & scrape the bottom of the pan to deglaze.
- Boil until the sherry is reduced by half.
- Drain the liquid from the soaking mushrooms through a fine sieve (to remove any grit) into the frying pan.
- Add the cream & bring to a boil; simmer for 3 minutes.
- Cut the soaked morels into halves or quarters (depending on their size) and add to pan.
- Return chicken to pan & cook for another 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Clean the fresh mushrooms, add to the pan, cover & cook for another 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with parsley.