720 hrs 30 mins
A traditional Mexican dish. I found this on the internet in response to a request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled,halved
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 sprigs oregano
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 12 chiles guajillos, cleaned
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 inches cinnamon sticks
- 1 plantain, peeled,chopped
- 1 ounce mexican chocolate
- 1Place the chicken in a stew pot and add the onion, garlic, and herbs.
- 2Cover with water and bring to a boil.
- 3Cover, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, remove the stems from the chile peppers.
- 5Cut them in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- 6Toast the chiles briefly in a hot skillet; do not overtoast.
- 7Place chiles in a small bowl and cover with hot water; set aside.
- 8Place the peeled tomatoes in a blender jar and pulse a few times.
- 9Toast the sesame seeds until just browned in the same skillet.
- 10Add to the tomatoes, along with the oregano, cloves, and allspice.
- 11Blend until smooth.
- 12Add oil to the skillet and fry the onion pieces for about 5 minutes.
- 13Add the garlic cloves and cinnamon stick and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 14Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to the blender jar.
- 15Fry the plantain for a few minutes, then transfer to the blender jar, along with the chiles and water.
- 16Blend until smooth.
- 17Strain the sauce and return to the skillet.
- 18Add the chocolate and season with salt.
- 19Stir 2 cups of the chicken broth into the sauce.
- 20Add the stewed chicken pieces and cook for about 20 to 25 minutes, uncovered.
- 21Mole sauce should be fairly thick.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken with Mole Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 803.6
- Calories from Fat 489
- Total Fat 54.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 172.5 mg
- Sodium 172.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 47.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: