Prep 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
This recipe is easy to prepare, tastes great, and the flavors are so well blended! The sauce is tangy and sweet and reminds me of the Caribbean. The recipe calls for broiling the chicken, but you could also grill it.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 red pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1 mango, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 -3 jalapenos, minced
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 3/4 pound each)
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the red peppers, garlic, salt and pepper, and allspice and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in the vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice and tomato sauce and cook for 1 minute more.
- Transfer the mixture into a bender and add the mango and jalapeño.
- Blend until smooth.
- Put 1 cup of the barbecue sauce into a sealable plastic bag with the chicken and marinate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Put the chicken on a broiler pan and discard the marinade.
- Broil the chicken on high for about 12 minutes, turning once.
- Let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce over the meat slices and serve.
- **Cook time doesn't include marinating the chicken in the mango barbecue sauce for an hour.
I found this recipe in Ellie Krieger's cookbook, The Food You Crave, and decided to check and see if it was posted here. Here it is! This is a great recipe; easy to make and delicious to eat. I did take your suggestion and grilled the chicken on a grill pan, and it was great. Thank you for sharing!
Family LOVED this....my hubby isnt so keen on hicken but he loved this recipe..im a vegan so i didnt eat it myself but the smell was amazing...also i used dried mangos instead of fresh and it turned out great!!!