Recipe by kit in NO
A light chicken dish I made up to used up some leftover champagne and mushrooms. I served it with rice
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
DH and I made this chicken dish for lunch today as I had some chicken, mushrooms, and carrots to use up. We liked it served over penne pasta. The sauce is more like a thick gravy. My carrots were still a little crunchy at the end, and DH said he didnt really care for them in the dish. However, it is an ingredient that could be easily omitted per individual taste. I put a generous helping of parmesan cheese on top, which in my opinion, improved the flavor. I liked the subtle flavor that the nutmeg lent to the chicken.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into pieces
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄2 cup shallot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 1⁄2 cup champagne
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a large, heavy skillet or shallow sauce pan over medium heat.
- When warm, remove and spray generously with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken pieces with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add chicken to pan and brown both sides.
- Remove chicken, add butter, shallots, carrots, mushrooms, parsley and sautee until softened.
- Add champagne and the Madeira wine and allow to boil about 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of the stock and return the chicken to the pan.
- Cover and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the remaining broth until smooth.
- Add the flour/broth mixture to the pan and allow to cook with the lid off until the liquid reduces about 5 minutes.
- Serve over rice.